What is Path? It’s a fast growing Android and iPhone “social networking” app with a very simple design. The Path portrays itself as a “smart journal” to share your life with loved ones and close friends and not with all 500 of your friends who either don’t care or are really jealous of you. Within the app you are able to:
- Post a photo, including taking one and posting it directly from your phone’s camera or gallery
- Tag a friend that you are with and what you are doing
- Check-in to any location
- Share the awesome new song that you are listening to
- Post a comment (i.e. “status”), which friends can also respond to
- Indicate that you have gone to bed or have awoken for the day Invite friends (via Facebook or your address book) to “follow your Path”
Path’s USP? I agree that Path isn’t really very different from other similar apps, but what Path offers is a very well executed private and personalized experience. Your friends are able to easily view, comment or respond to any of your activities, i.e. follow your “path”. So, whether you want to comment on a song that a friend is currently listening to, add an emoticon to their activity to display your approval / disapproval or perhaps recommend your favorite dish at a restaurant or cafe that they just checked into – Path makes it easy and intuitive to do so in a very nice and clean fashion. Plus, it’s just really pretty to look at!
Is Path right for you? With all this said, do we really need yet another location and activity check-in aka social networking app?? If you are like me and kinda have had enough of Facebook crap, the answer might be a ‘yes’.